Heart'n'Soul

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thunder from down under - I

Hullllloooooooooooo!!! to the bolg and the readers....

Greetings from Colombo... it’s 19th July, 2010 and I am sleepy and tired and I want to make sure I put it on my blog...hehehe! And for those of you who know me would have understood the context for the title of this blog. Just cudn't help naming it this ways!!!

Ok so here I am in a small city in a new type of "Pardes" - unlike bollywood where it only means USA... and recently in some exception cases UK and Australia(strictly exceptions)

The apartment here is good... fully furnished, spacious, good decor and one thing I love and would want in my house as well... the sliding door/window overlooking a great view. The clouds, the breeze and the drizzle that stopped before I was supposed to leave for work pretty much made up for a good start for the day ahead.

Colombo on first look seems like a mixture of Chennai and Goa... and I haven’t seen the beaches as yet so it’s just the architecture, colors, dressing, roads, shops and all that. The weather as of now is nice; clouds are around the corner all the time. But the pollution is not such a welcoming factor, especially when one is travelling in a tuktuk instead of the comfort of my "Lal Pari". Oh BTW, tuktuk means our standard auto in Delhi and Mumbai :D

I am still to understand the color coding that these tuktuks have - red, blue, green, yellow etc... but it costs 200 bucks to my office. Have learnt that in INR it means just 80 bucks, which is a short distance travel in Delhi but it sounded like a BOMB for an auto vis-a-vi the distance.... but well, like they say - when in Rome do as Romans do... so 200 SLR it is.

The vending machines and water coolers do not have glasses here and there is no CCD or Barista... which means no coffee for a while - till I either find a good cafe or buy myself a sipper. AND... till then I will die of this headache from lack of coffee. On top of it my hair is misbehaving and this is an understatement... but considering the humidity factor, maybe I can let it go. Hoping that it would settle down soon!!

The interesting thing I noticed is that here everyone uses glass bottles to store and drink water... and well, i said interesting cuz they are mostly alcohol bottles. I think it’s very amusing and scientifically safe at the same time ;D

Internet has not been setup as yet so I am right now just typing stuff on MSWord, probably will be posting it tomorrow, once the Internet is setup for me and if the BlogSpot is not blocked... else whenever.

Also, how can I forget to mention this when I am writing bout today, it’s an important important day .... two of my closest buddies were born today, more than 2 decades back... HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRLS... this is for Shaifali and Neha... Love you my babies!

More from the Colombo later, back to documents, meetings, calls and more documents for now!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

posted by Heart'n'Soul at 2:04 PM

4 Comments:

Have a great stay .. :)

July 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

Post more when you can. Looking forward to reading more.

July 23, 2010 at 4:12 PM  

we do have BARISTA in sri lanka :P so :P

July 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

Ruchira... i got tht :)
like i said - it was more of a panic attack... i cant live without coffee - I was scared, so when i saw one myself, was so so so relived

July 30, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home